Friday, January 17, 2014

Find Peace as Paul Did

There are so many times when I find myself completely in deep thought with a story from the scriptures. In particular, this past week I was impressed with a certain chapter in Acts, which is found in the Bible. Acts was written by Luke and "Indeed, a more complete title for the book of Acts could appropriately be something like “The Acts of the Resurrected Christ Working through the Holy Spirit in the Lives and Ministries of His Ordained Apostles.” Now, having said that, you can see why someone voted for the shorter title-but my suggested title is more accurate!"  This great quote was said by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve in a CES conference at BYU. I've been having to read the Book of Acts for my Christian History class here at BYU-Idaho and can absolutely agree with Elder Holland. 

Now, one day during my scripture study I came upon Acts chapter 16. There was a certain verse in this chapter that made me ponder and deeply think of what Heavenly Father was trying to teach me when I read that verse. However, I would like to first explain the context behind this certain scripture. Paul and Silas, after casting out an evil spirit, were thrown into prison. Having read those verses, I began thinking of times when I feel like I have been thrown in my own "prisons" even when my actions were righteous. I continued to read and I came upon Acts 16:25:"¶And at amidnight Paul and Silas prayed, and bsang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them."

In my hardest of times, do I turn to the Father with faith as I am experiencing this trial? How many times do I pray and sing praises to Him throughout my day? Is it higher than the number of times I complain about my trial? I want it to be! So, I started asking myself a question that I truly feel the Holy Ghost had prompted me to ask in that very moment, and it was: Marisol, where do you turn for peace?

Where do I turn for peace? I have to admit, sometimes I find it in a Taylor Swift song (the depressing ones that make you hate guys for about 4 minutes). Sometimes I find it in food (don't we all?). And sometimes I find it by complaining and being angry with myself. Does this help? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Moments after listing these things in my mind, I began listing the things that I want to turn to for peace always, at every moment of the day.
Oh boy, I received such peace by listing the things that will bring me peace! Isn't that just marvelous? I thought so!
So take a moment of your day, take a moment right now to receive some divine peace. Let's take a moment and sing or read over Where Can I Turn for Peace?

So? How was it? Awesome? Divine? Peaceful? I'm sure it was.

I leave you with this my dear readers, carefully observe the things you turn to when you are in your very own "prison" as Paul was. Where do you turn for peace? I know that our Heavenly Father is filled with joy when we turn to Him, always. He wants to comfort us because He understands. So open your hearts to Him and find that peace you've been aching for in His loving arms.

                                          Where can I turn for peace? 

No comments:

Post a Comment